Wednesday 12 February 2014

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

I had to read this book for my book group but it's one I might well have chosen for myself.  I'm not a knitter (though I wish I were) but it struck me it could be similar to Maeve Binchy's "Evening Class" and I did enjoy that.

In fact it bore very little resemblance.  It tells the story of single mother Georgia Walker who struggles to bring up her daughter by taking knitting commissions.  The knitting business develops into a shop selling wool which in turn becomes a meeting place for friends united by their interest in knitting. 

It's light and easy enough to read.  The characters aren't terribly well developed and the plot is in parts unlikely to say the least.  It's set very firmly in New York with a side trip to Scotland to visit the wise old granny.  I'm not at all sure Kate Jacobs has ever been to Scotland but I'll let that pass.  A holiday read, I think, or a way to pass the time on a long flight.

The Friday Night Knitting Club is available at Amazon.com
or in the UK at Amazon UK

No comments: